Wednesday 13 June 2012

I3C and DIM

I have decided to try taking a DIM/I3C supplement to try to combat my excess oestrogen issues which are responsible for many of my PCOS symptoms.... and probably also responsible for my miscarriages.

So here's a little bit of information I found online about DIM/I3C:

Indol-3-Carbinol (I3C) is produced by the breakdown of an organic compound found to occur naturally in cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and kale. When digested, a compound called Diindolylmethane (or DIM) is derived.

DIM works by stimulating efficient oestrogen metabolism

DIM increases the specific aerobic metabolism for oestrogen, multiplying the chance for oestrogen to be broken down into its beneficial, or "good" oestrogen metabolites. These "good"oestrogen metabolites are known as the 2-hydroxy oestrogens. Many of the benefits that are attributed to oestrogen, which include its ability to protect the heart and brain with its antioxidant activity, are now known to come from these "good" metabolites.

When DIM increases the "good" oestrogen metabolites, there is a simultaneous reduction in the levels of undesirable or "bad" oestrogen metabolites. These include the 16-hydroxy oestrogens, which are not antioxidants and can actually cause cancer. Greater production of these "bad" oestrogen metabolites is promoted by obesity and exposure to a number of manmade environmental chemicals.

These "bad" oestrogen metabolites are responsible for many of oestrogen's undesirable actions in women and men, including further unwanted weight gain, breast cancer, and uterine cancer.

Here is an informative website about cruciferous vegetables and oestrogen metabolism.

Today my supplements arrived so I will start taking them tomorrow, then I'll post the results when a new cycle starts.  Hopefully it will have had a positive effect on reducing the thickness of my uterine lining and I won't get such a heavy bleed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst I will read every comment, I will not necessarily publish all of them. In particular I will not publish or respond to any comments or questions written in "txt spk". They are incredibly annoying!